Here's the quick & dirty. This is where I house my cards from Postcrossing, the occasional movie review (new releases and old favorites), and also the pictures and winners from the (forthcoming) Annual Scavenger Hunt. Stay tuned.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Not from Postcrossing

So, I'd like to tell you about two acquaintances who quickly became friends of mine... and then I'll tell you about the cards they sent me!

Laura is the type who's a bit of a stranger to technology, but she gets by online and knows how to text on her cellphone quite well. She's absolutely charming, a vegetarian (or maybe vegan, I'm not sure), and she positively LOVES postcards. In fact, Laura is the one who turned me on to Postcrossing. See, I was showing off my new favorite toy, my iPad, and the best way I could think at the time to demonstrate it was to ask, "What's a website you visit all the time?" And with that, we were both whisked away... her, getting to play around on my little shrine to impotent consumerism; and me, getting my first taste of what would soon become my next obsession.

Knowing that they'd be right up my alley, Laura sent me the above pictured pink and green 'gay-friendly' postcards. The pink card with the two grooms advertises the now defunct PlanetOut.com, and the green one playfully urging those in the community to come out? It's from Chicago's Lesbian and Gay Community Center. Love em' both, thank you Laura!

The card in between comes from Amanda, who was a co-worker at Books-A-Million with Leslie, one of my roommates at the time. She's super sweet, strong willed, assertive, loves all things Disney, and we even enjoyed a fantastic weekend trip to New Orleans once with Nathaniel and Leslie, too. With her bookstore background, it's no surprise that she sent me a book-cover postcard, of Sex and Society, by Alex Comfort. I've never read it, but I might be inclined to now. What was surprising, though? She sent me the card with a Postcrossing code, and filled with all the best Postcrossing clichés. Only at the last sentence did she basically say "gotcha!" Loves it!

No comments:

Post a Comment