Here's the quick & dirty. This is where I house my cards from Postcrossing, the occasional movie review (new releases and old favorites), and also the pictures and winners from the (forthcoming) Annual Scavenger Hunt. Stay tuned.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Braille on a Stamp

This card comes from Päivi in Hyvinkää, Finland. Pictured is the Cathedral of Tampere, a place Päivi worked when she was in college. Now, it doesn't really show up in the scan above, but on the stamp, I noticed a series of aligned bumps that raised (no pun intended) a bit of curiosity in me. So I messaged Päivi and she replied, stating "Yes, you are right. There is braille on the stamp. There are some Finnish stamps with tactile characters for the blind." That is something new and interesting that I didn't know, and having never had any real experience with braille except on the keypad at drive-through ATMs (lol), I thought it cool enough to share. Thanks for the great card of the beautiful cathedral, Päivi!

No comments:

Post a Comment